In short:

A man has appeared in court charged with setting fire to a house in Adelaide’s south while a woman and her three children were inside.

The man is accused of pouring petrol on the home’s front door before setting it alight on Sunday afternoon.

What’s next?

The man was refused bail and will return to court in October.

A man allegedly deliberately set fire to a home in Adelaide’s south while a woman and her three children were inside.

The 57-year-old man appeared in the Christies Beach Magistrates Court on Monday after allegedly setting fire to his Hackham West home about 4:20pm on Sunday.

He has been charged with four counts of endangering life and arson of a building or motor vehicle.

Court documents reveal the man is accused of “pouring petrol on the front door of the home and setting it alight while the victim was inside with her three children, knowing that the act was likely to endanger the life of another or being recklessly indifferent as to whether the life of another was endangered”.

The documents further state the allegation is aggravated because he was either in, or had previously been in, a relationship with the woman at the house.

The documents also state the damage caused to the front door was less than $2,500.

Police said they attended the “domestic incident” on Sunday and “quickly extinguished” a fire at the home’s front door.

They said no-one was injured by the fire.

The man was refused release on bail and is scheduled to next appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court in October.

The alleged arson occurred just hours after an unrelated incident in the Sydney suburb of Lalor Park, where three children were killed in a house fire allegedly lit by their father.

Posted , updated