In short: 

The family of a man whose body was found in Adelaide’s northern suburbs has told a court of the “pain and suffering” they have experienced.

Marco Anthony Yandle, who pleaded guilty to assisting an offender, apologised to the man’s family and asked for their forgiveness.

What’s next?

The 20-year-old will be sentenced later this month.

The partner of an alleged murder victim has confronted an Adelaide man in court who assisted in covering up his death, telling the offender he has “destroyed” her family’s life.

Marco Anthony Yandle and his father, Keith Russell Yandle, were charged with the murder of missing man Steven Murphy at their Kudla property in Adelaide’s north in April last year.

In January, Marco Yandle’s murder charge was dropped after he instead pleaded guilty to assisting an offender, by concealing items belonging to the victim and lying to police.

The court has heard the 20-year-old accompanied his father with a baseball bat to confront Mr Murphy in a shed, before his father allegedly shot and killed him.

Steven Murphy’s remains were found at a Kudla property last year.(Supplied: Instagram)

In the Supreme Court on Friday, Mr Murphy’s partner Danielle Rogers read out an emotional victim impact statement, expressing the “pain and suffering” she has experienced.

“You were a scared, weak little boy trying to be a big, tough man,” Ms Rogers said.

“We get our whole lives turned into a nightmare, Steve gets put in a hole and what do you get? A shorter sentence?

“You, Marco, have destroyed my life and my boys’ lives.”

Ms Rogers said their two sons were left “riddled with anxiety” and often struggled to sleep or even eat.

She read out a victim impact statement on behalf of their eight-year-old son, who described his heartache following his father’s death.

Steven Murphy’s partner Danielle Rogers (middle) gave an emotional victim impact statement in court.(ABC New: Bethanie Alderson)

“My dad was everything to me … he treated me like an angel,” the boy wrote.

“I miss my dad and most nights I can’t sleep … I miss his voice, I miss his smile, I miss his laugh but most of all I miss his lovely hugs.

“My dad never got to come home and I feel that it is only fair you get the longest sentence the court can possibly give.”

The court heard Mr Murphy had been sleeping rough and was “alone and defenceless” at the time of his death.

Apology to the family

Yandle spoke directly to Mr Murphy’s family as well as his own inside the courtroom, asking for their forgiveness.

“The decision I made was shameful, reckless and weak,” he said.

“I chose my father over the law, and I completely understand I must face the consequences of that choice.

“Even if I am never forgiven, I will forever extend my apologies to the family of the deceased Mr Murphy.”

Defence lawyer Stephen Ey asked the court for any further penalty to be suspended or served on home detention, given Yandle’s time already spent in custody.

Stephen Ey has asked for Marco Yandle’s sentence to be suspended or to be served on home detention.(ABC News: Bethanie Alderson)

Mr Ey said Yandle’s psychological state had an impact on his decisions, telling the court the young man found himself in an “untenable position”.

“He was in denial about the events that occurred and also felt disgusted and disappointed in respect of his father … but was reluctant to betray the person who had raised him,” he said.

“He was aware his actions were unlawful, but he felt obliged to protect his father and the tight-knit, stable home life.”

Prosecutor Isabelle Kimber rejected Mr Ey’s argument, saying there was no evidence of any “fear” or “coercion”.

Ms Kimber opposed a suspended sentence or home detention and said the seriousness of the offending warranted an immediate term of imprisonment.

“It is critically important to the system of criminal justice that people who deal with police deal with them truthfully and do not deliberately mislead investigations,” she said.

“In my submission this is why general deterrence is an important factor for your Honour to take into account.”

Justice Judy Hughes ordered a home detention report, and remanded Yandle in custody to be sentenced later this month.