The alleged victim of an altercation involving six teenagers outside a suburban Adelaide shopping centre had been “harassing” one of the teens for five months, and on an earlier occasion, had struck the youth with a metal baseball bat, a court has heard.

The teenagers were charged over an incident outside of Arndale Shopping Centre in Adelaide’s north-west – which allegedly involved “swinging a large knife”.

The youths had been trying to escape an adult who had been “consistently pursuing” the group, the Adelaide Youth Court heard.

Police alleged two of the teenagers were carrying knives and charged all six – aged between 13 and 16 – with aggravated affray over the alleged incident on Torrens Road at Kilkenny on Tuesday afternoon.

The defence lawyer for one of the 14-year-olds said her client had been receiving a barrage of abusive text messages and calls from the alleged victim in the months before the altercation outside the shopping centre.

Police said two of the teenagers had been carrying knives, and one had thrown a rock and hit the alleged victim on the chin.(ABC News: Guido Salazar)

She said the alleged complainant had discovered where the boy lived, and on one occasion, had gone to his home and “hit him with a metal baseball bat”.

She said the CCTV of the alleged incident on Tuesday showed the alleged complainant had initiated the altercation by engaging verbally with the group.

She said the group of teenage boys had been minding their own business and had “tried to remove themselves from the situation”.

But, prosecution said the teenager was the “principal instigator” of the incident and had allegedly thrown a rock at the alleged complainant, which struck him on the chin.

She said the boy had prior alleged offences, including a charge of serious criminal trespass, and had recently had his home detention bail conditions downgraded.

Magistrate Alison Adair ordered a bail report and remanded the boy in custody until his next appearance in July.

In a hearing for one of the other teenagers, a prosecutor told the court the group had allegedly yelled at the victim and “threatened to kill him” during the altercation.

But, defence lawyers told the court that “a day prior [the complainant] assaulted one of the boys in the group” and that he had been following the teenagers at the centre on Tuesday.

The youngest person involved in the incident was 13 years old.(ABC News)

During the hearing for another 14-year-old boy – who was also charged with aggravated assault, carry an offensive weapon and possessing cannabis – the prosecutor said the alleged offending was “extremely violent” and had been captured on CCTV and filmed by a bystander.

The prosecutor opposed the teenager’s release on all forms of bail and said he could allegedly be seen “swinging a large knife in the direction” of the victim.

She said the teenager was last month released from a detention centre, and was subject to a suspended sentence obligation for an earlier aggravated assault that involved “attacking a bus driver with a knife”.

She said he had also previously been accused of six criminal trespasses and a number of thefts.

Teens tried to ‘get away’ from situation

But, the teenager’s defence lawyer told the court the group had “felt quite threatened” by the “fully grown adult” alleged victim and had “walked away”.

She said they had sought refuge in a shop but were “swiftly” told to leave.

“The complainant was pursuing the young group initially,” she said.

She said the teens had left the shopping centre “to steer clear of the complainant” but “felt that they needed to defend themselves”.

“The group were not causing a scene, were fleeing, were trying to get away.”

A prosecutor said the alleged offending was “extremely violent” and had been captured on CCTV and filmed by a bystander.(ABC News: Guido Salazar)

She said the charges were contested and, on her client’s instructions, there was “scope” for them to be downgraded.

The teenager sought bail to live with his mother.

Magistrate Adair ordered a bail report and remanded the teen in detention until his next court hearing in July, describing the alleged offending as “very serious”.

Two of the other charged teens – one of whom also allegedly had a knife during the altercation – were granted release on bail. 

The court heard neither of those two teens had any history of prior offending.

Their bail conditions include a ban on attending the Kilkenny shopping centre and a ban on contacting their co-accused or the alleged victim.

Two other youths charged over the incident – a 13-year-old boy from Mansfield Park and a 14-year-old from Athol Park – were granted bail late on Tuesday after a magistrate’s review.

Posted , updated