A man in his 30s has died after crashing his motorcycle about 80 kilometres east of Adelaide.

Key points:

  • The motorcyclist was a 36-year-old man from Mount Barker
  • South Australia’s 2021 road toll now stands at five, compared to one at this time in 2020
  • In an unrelated incident, a man and woman were arrested and charged after a police pursuit in the city on Friday

Just before 6:00am on Saturday, a motorist driving along Randell Road, just west of Mannum, came across the crashed motorcycle.

Authorities pronounced the rider, a 36-year-old man from Mount Barker, dead at the scene.

His death takes South Australia’s road toll for 2021 to five, compared to just one at this time last year.

Randell Road was closed on Saturday morning but expected to reopen in the afternoon after major crash officers investigated the scene.

SA Police have urged anyone who drove through the area last night and saw anything that may assist the investigation to contact Crime Stoppers.

Pair arrested, charged after city pursuit

Meanwhile, a man and woman were arrested and charged with a raft of offences — including possessing a firearm — following a police pursuit through Adelaide on Friday night.

Just after 9:00pm on Friday, a police patrol stopped a black BMW sedan on Grenfell Street, Adelaide, for a routine traffic stop.

Officers were checking the male driver’s licence, which appeared to be fake, when the car took off.

It drove through several red lights in the city and travelled the wrong way around the Britannia roundabout in heavy traffic.

The police helicopter located the car abandoned in a hotel car park on Regent Street in the CBD before police found and arrested the man and woman at a house on Church Avenue at Norwood.

Methamphetamines and an imitation firearm were found during a search of the property.

The man, a 32-year-old from Norwood, was charged with dangerous driving to escape police, trafficking a controlled drug and possessing a firearm without a licence.

The woman, a 23-year-old also from Norwood, was charged with trafficking a controlled drug, possessing a firearm without a licence and hindering police.

The pair were refused bail and will appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday.