Police are searching the Eyre Highway for a weapon following the alleged robbery and death of a 67-year-old man on South Australia’s far-west coast earlier this year. 

A 39-year-old man from Thevenard, on the Eyre Peninsula, and a 28-year-old woman from Yalata, on the edge of the Nullabor Plain, were arrested and charged with aggravated robbery on January 20 after the victim was found unresponsive with a serious head injury on the Eyre Highway at Scotdesco.

A major crime was declared after the victim passed away in hospital on March 20.

Search for weapon linked to death of 67-year-old man

Investigations revealed the victim, who was from Scotdesco, had allegedly been assaulted and robbed before his white 1992 Mitsubishi Pajero and trailer were allegedly stolen.

The vehicle was later found abandoned on Fowler’s Bay Road at the junction of the Eyre Highway, approximately 34 kilometres from where it was allegedly stolen. 

Police say it was not a random incident with all parties known to each other.

Police believe the two suspects hitch-hiked from the junction of Fowler’s Bay Road to Nundroo, a distance of approximately 31km.

The Eyre Highway is the major route linking South Australia and Western Australia via the Nullarbor Plain.(ABC Goldfields-Esperance: Sam Tomlin)

Police and SES members will search along the highway and surrounding areas between the Scotdesco community and Nundroo today, a 59km stretch of the major road that links Western Australia and South Australia via the Nullarbor.

Police seek dash cam footage

Police are appealing for anyone who recalls providing a lift to two people on January 20, or any motorists who may have dash cam footage to come forward.

There will be speed restrictions in place as police conduct the search on Tuesday and Wednesday and motorists are advised to exercise caution while travelling this section of the Eyre Highway.

Police members from STAR Operations Section, Security Response Section, Mounted Section, and the Eyre Western LSA Criminal Investigation Branch will contribute to the search effort.

Both suspects remain in custody and will appear before the Port Augusta Magistrates Court on May 1.

Posted , updated