A staff member from a primary school in Adelaide has been charged with indecently assaulting a child, education authorities have confirmed.

Police said the man was arrested on Monday, and will face court in May.

A spokesperson for the Education Department said a letter has been provided to parents and caregivers at the reception-to-year-6 school to inform them of the arrest, in line with mandatory obligations.

The spokesperson said the letter advised that the staff member had been charged with “two counts of aggravated indecent assault involving a child”.

The statement also said that the staff member is prohibited from attending the school.

“The Department for Education has a policy around informing the school community at the appropriate time whenever allegations of sexual misconduct are made against any person who works in any capacity at the school,” the spokesperson said.

“The staff member is prevented from attending any school or engaging in child-related work.

“They have been directed away from the site.”

Police said the man would face court in May.

Posted