A man accused of attacking two women — killing one and seriously injuring another — was discharged from the Royal Adelaide Hospital on Monday, where he was being treated for a mental health condition.

Key points:

  • A man accused of stabbing two women has been charged with murder and attempted murder
  • A 38-year-old woman died at the scene and a 50-year-old woman was seriously injured
  • SA Health says the man was discharged from hospital on Monday, after being treated for a mental health condition

Julie “Julez” Seed was allegedly stabbed at a real estate business on Lydia Street in Plympton about 3:40pm on Wednesday. 

The 38-year-old died at the scene.

A second woman, aged 50, is in a stable condition at the Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) after sustaining serious injuries. 

Police arrested Shaun Michaels Dunk, 30, at the scene, and charged him with one count of murder and one count of attempted murder.

Officers previously said the man was not known to the two women, and that the stabbing was suspected to be random. 

In a statement, SA Health confirmed the accused was discharged from hospital two days prior to the attack, after being treated for a mental health condition.

“We are aware of an incident involving a patient who has been treated for a mental health condition at the RAH, and was discharged on the 18th December through a clinical decision,” a department spokesperson said. 

“The Chief Psychiatrist will be reviewing the circumstances around this patient’s treatment and discharge.”

Victim remembered as ‘beautiful soul’

A friend described the death of Julie Seed as “heartbreaking”, after placing flowers outside the Plympton business this morning. 

Cathy Black said her friend touched “many people’s hearts”. 

“She was a beautiful, beautiful soul, a beautiful mum to two beautiful girls,” Ms Black said. 

“She just found everything that she always wanted. She’s got a beautiful family and fiance.

“She just got her dream job and then this happens and it’s heartbreaking.”

Flowers were laid outside the Plympton businesses this morning.(ABC News: Evelyn Leckie)

Ms Black said it was concerning to discover the man accused of Ms Seed’s death had recently been discharged from hospital. 

“Something needs to be done about the mental health care system because innocent people are losing their lives and it’s not fair,” she said. 

“Her family are just devastated, right before Christmas.”

Local resident Kadam Roka, who has been living in South Australia for just over a year, said he was shocked to learn what had happened nearby.

“It’s tragic and it’s scary,” he said.

“Death is not only death of a person, so many things die with the death of a person, that’s why my heart goes with the family and the relatives of the lady who lost her life yesterday.”

Jayne Stinson says the local community is in shock. (ABC News: Justin Hewitson)

Local MP Jayne Stinson said her thoughts were with the families of the two women, as well as the other employees of the real estate business. 

“This is completely devastating, it’s just ripped my heart out and our community’s really, [we’re] really shocked that this has happened,” she said. 

“This is a really safe community so, this is particularly disturbing for people in our community to be learning this overnight and digesting the news today.

“My office is only metres away so, when I heard about this obviously my thoughts turned to my staff.

“No-one goes to work in the morning thinking that something horrible like this is going to happen and that they might not return to their families.”

Psychiatrist review ‘critical’ to investigation

Police Minister Joe Szakacs described the incident as “horrific”. 

“I know that there will be an extraordinary amount of support provided to those that are grieving, but this is awful, this is horrific and it comes at just the most terrible time of year,” he said.

“I am heartbroken for this loss.”

Mr Szakacs said the independent review by the state’s Chief Psychiatrist into the circumstances as to why the accused was released from care after being detained would be “critical”. 

“That will run at the same time as what is already a very involved and resource-intensive investigation by SA Police,” he said. 

“I believe that the work being undertaken by the Chief Psychiatrist will be done urgently, I understand that will be done by an independent psychiatrist from New South Wales.

“I would anticipate that that will be a fulsome set of answers and understandings of the circumstances of this case.”

Forensic investigators examined the scene overnight. (ABC News)

SA Police said Major Crime detectives are assisting with the investigation.

They said a knife and a small hammer were taken as evidence. 

Mr Dunk, who sat silently during the brief hearing, appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court via video link and made no application for bail.

He has been remanded in custody under the Mental Health Act.

The prosecution asked for a 14-week adjournment and he will face court again in March, 2024. 

Posted , updated