A former gunsmith has told the Supreme Court that he felt “guilty by association” of the 1994 National Crime Authority bombing because he was in possession of guns and detonators belonging to the alleged murderer.

Key points:

  • Allan Chamberlain said he felt ‘guilty by association’ after holding the weapons of accused NCA bomber Domenic Perre
  • Prosecutors allege Mr Perre handed up to 20 guns to Mr Chamberlain before the blast
  • Domenic Perre has pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted murder over the blast in 1994

Domenic Perre allegedly killed Detective Sergeant Geoffrey Bowen and severely injured lawyer Peter Wallis by sending a parcel bomb to the Adelaide headquarters of the National Crime Authority (NCA) in March 1994.

The 64-year-old has pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted murder and is facing a six-month Supreme Court trial.

Prosecutors allege Mr Perre handed up to 20 firearms to then-gunsmith Allan “Gadget” Chamberlain in late 1993.

It is also alleged that Mr Chamberlain also had bomb-making books and two detonators — which he put in a wardrobe at his family farm —  in his possession in the days before the blast.

Chamberlain ‘in panic’ days after blast

Mr Chamberlain told the court that he first heard about the bomb on the radio while working at Central Firearms in Prospect.

“I was deeply concerned and troubled, I would say my mind was racing,” he told prosecutor Sandi McDonald SC.

He said he went to a friend’s house for dinner a few days later and he was in “near panic”.

Self-taught former gunsmith Allan Chamberlain has given evidence to the Supreme Court.(

ABC News: Meagan Dillon


“It was continuously on the news and Leon was absorbed in watching that and I wanted to get away from it and clear my head,” he said.

Mr Chamberlain told the court that he went outside to have a cigarette and spoke to another friend, disclosing that Mr Perre had given him items before the bombing.

He said he told his friend he was concerned about the impact it would have on him.

He said he arranged a meeting with Mr Perre to discuss whether the firearms and other items should be moved elsewhere.

The court was then played a voice message that Mr Perre left on Mr Chamberlain’s answering machine on March 8, 1994 — six days after the bombing.

The recording stated: “It’s me, I want to know how you are? Get back to me as soon as possible OK.”

Mr Chamberlain said he called Mr Perre back but could not remember what was discussed.

Court hearing falls on 27th anniversary of bombing

Today marked the 27th anniversary of the blast.

Outside court, Peter Wallis’ daughter Genevieve Wallis said the anniversary of the 1994 bombing was a “day of significance”.

Genevieve Wallis’s father was severely injured in the blast and died of natural causes in November 2018.(

ABC News: Meagan Dillon


The trial will continue tomorrow and defence lawyers will start to cross-examine Mr Chamberlain.