National Crime Authority bombing victim Detective Sergeant Geoffrey Bowen was so suspicious of a large package that he checked it for wires before opening it, court documents reveal.

Key points:

  • The court has released the transcript from bombing survivor Peter Wallis, and footage of the aftermath
  • Wallis saw Sergeant Bowen receive a large package, open it and say ‘no wires’
  • Domenic Perre has pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted murder

The South Australian Supreme Court has released the transcript of two interviews that police conducted with bombing survivor Peter Wallis while he was recovering at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

Justice Kevin Nicholson also released footage of police walking through the debris of the NCA office in Adelaide that exploded on March 2, 1994.

Accused bomber, 63-year-old Domenic Perre, has pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted murder over the blast and is facing a six-month trial without a jury.

In his statement released by the court, lawyer Mr Wallis told police that he and Sergeant Bowen met that day to discuss the prosecution over a $20 million cannabis crop that had been found in the Northern Territory in August 1993.

Debris from the 1994 National Crime Authority blast on Waymouth Street.(Supplied: SA Supreme Court)

“Brian [NCA security officer] had a package addressed to Geoff and gave it to him,” he said in his interview with police.

“It was a relatively large package. I mean, it was in a Post express bag.

“Geoff said, ‘well I don’t know what this is, I haven’t ordered anything’. So Brian waved the metal detector wand over it.

“We just sort of heard a few beeps but they understand what that means. I didn’t. They said it was alright and Geoff took it into my office.

Detective Sergeant Geoffrey Bowen.(Supplied)

Mr Wallis told police that the package was addressed to “Investigator Geoff Bowen” and “IBM Promotions” was written on the back as the sender.

He said that inside the express post bag was a cardboard box which was taped closed and had the word “modem” on it.

“When he opened the plastic pack, he looked in and said, ‘no wires’, like you know, he was apprehensive. I don’t know why I stayed because I was going to leave,” he said on March 2, 1994.

Accused bomber Domenic Perre at the time of his arrest.(ABC News)

When asked what prompted the explosion, Mr Wallis said: “I presumed by opening the lid [of the box].

The prosecution opening address stated that the NCA had received references from each state and the Commonwealth to target Italian organised crime and that Sergeant Bowen was working on the “Cerebus reference”.

Hatred of NCA ‘festered over months’

It has been alleged that Mr Perre’s hatred for the NCA and Sergeant Bowen started when police seized the $20 million cannabis crop at Hidden Valley Station, in the NT.

“It is the prosecution case that this was the beginning of a hatred towards law enforcement and ultimately the NCA and Bowen, in particular,” the documents stated.

The address stated that in September 1993, Mr Perre was arrested and interviewed by Sergeant Bowen but the “demeanour” between the two men changed.

“During this time, Bowen constantly goaded and belittled the accused. His behaviour towards the accused was harassing and demeaning,” the document stated.